There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Cartagena, born in Columbia, is cities, pirates, forts, spices,
letters, funny hats, foreign languages, maps, cobblestones, nostalgia,
lust, wordplay, bad decisions, obscure movie quotes, and porn. We publish every six months or so. We want
to see your work. Send it via our fancy submission manager.
- Make it look good. Bad formatting looks bad.
- Don’t make it too long (6k words for prose, up to 10 poems at a time).
- We’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
- Of course you should simultaneously submit. Just tell us if you’re picked up elsewhere.
- If we want it, we’ll ask for first publication rights. After that, it’s yours again. Just mention that we got there first.
If it’s helpful, here are some writers we like: Sherman Alexie, Nelson Algren, Steve Almond, Aimee Bender, Jorge Luis Borges, Charles Bukowski, Robert Olen Butler, Italo Calvino, e.e. cummings, Jonathan Safran Foer, Knut Hamsun, Denis Johnson, James Joyce, Miranda July, Mary Karr, Cormac McCarthy, Henry Miller, Christopher Moore, Lorrie Moore, Pablo Neruda, Anais Nin, Michael Ondaatje, Carl Sandburg, William Saroyan, Jim Shepard, Shel Silverstein, Zadie Smith, Kevin Young. There are many many others and many we have yet to discover. Enlighten us.